The Edge - February 2012
Listen to Barbara Marx Hubbard and Stephen Dinan welcome you to an amazing new year
Are you ready to step forward and offer your unique gifts to co-create the next era of human evolution?
Evolutionary Leaders Barbara Marx Hubbard, President of The Foundation for Conscious Evolution, and Stephen Dinan, CEO of the Shift Network, welcome you to the extraordinary potential of the year 2012 in an inspiring 14-minute dialogue.
Barbara Marx Hubbard calls on all evolutionary leaders around the world to discover their “vocations of destiny” as we bring forth the future by activating our highest potential. Barbara explains how the old society is dying through an organic worldwide crisis so that something new and magnificent may emerge. As we give birth to all that is innovative, compassionate and creative within ourselves, Barbara declares a planetary Birth Day to be celebrated on December 22, 2012.
Stephen Dinan expresses the synergy that is empowering a global movement. He urges us to make 2012 the definitive year for a commitment to peace, calling on a hundred million people to create a tipping point for the human race. He describes the grassroots initiatives, including the Summer of Peace 2012, that are bringing us back into balance in loving co-creative resonance with one another.
LISTEN to the energy as Barbara and Stephen offer a taste of the excitement and adventure of joining together in transcendent cause for the transformation we can effect together this year. Welcome to 2012!
Are You a Member of the Golden Motorcycle Gang?
THE GOLDEN MOTORCYCLE GANG, written by Jack Canfield and William Gladstone, recounts Jack Canfield’s amazing life story as a member of a celestial, soul-traveling motorcycle gang who saw the earth in peril and came here to assist during the crisis in bringing about a massive global transformation.
To make a positive difference by igniting other "gang members" to join them on mission of hope and transformation.
Meditate with Evolutionary Leaders
On 11.1.11 (November 1, 2011) Evolutionary Leaders gathered in meditation to hold this intention:
Our intention is to transcend superficial differences that divide us – race, religion, politics, beliefs, culture – to acknowledge, experience and honor the essential bond that unites us all as one interdependent organism.
We also intend to evolve in both consciousness and action so that each of us learns to perceive the whole, relate to others in wholeness, widen our definition of ‘we’ to be all inclusive and become evolutionary leaders for a peaceful, holistic, sustainable world.
You are invited to meditate along with an audio recording available at www.evolutionaryleaders.net/11-1-11.
Launch of Great Transition Stories Site
Evolutionary Leaders Duane Elgin and Lynnaea Lumbard are collaborating on an exciting new platform. Duane invites you to be a part of it.
Dear Friends of the Future, After nearly a year of development, we are launching a major website called "Great Transition Stories" that is bringing together a range of positive visions of humanity's future. See: www.greattransitionstories.org.
I've just posted a blog on Huffington Post about this titled, "Change the Story to Change the World." Click here to read the story now.
I hope you will review the blog and join the dialogue about new narratives for a promising future!
HeartMath's top leaders Deborah Rozman and Howard Martin share ways you can harness your heart's intelligence to reduce stress, navigate these changing times with calm and ease, and generate more joy as you consciously share your heart and contribute to the healing of our world.
They offer the Quick Coherence technique to restore calm and ease in the midst of turbulent days, as well as advice on how to access the heart's wisdom.
Deborah and Howard also talk about that state of "heart coherence" or the conscious alignment of the heart with the brain and the body, sharing one of the tools for bringing yourself back into a peaceful place whenever you're feeling stressed or overwhelmed.
Start the new year with a quote from Tom Zender's new book, One-Minute Meditations at Work
January 5 – Begin
I TAKE THE FIRST BOLD STEPS IN MY JOB DREAMS, SEEING DIVINE RESULTS
"When I am at the brink of taking a first step to doing something new, building upon my dream, I might hesitate. If so, there is another first step to help me move forward.
That step is to communicate with Spirit, my inspiration, the source of my ideas and the strength of my actions. [...]
Today, as I go into my work and I think of my dream, I begin and as I take the first steps, I receive the intelligence, strength and serendipity for success."
Link to inspiring quotes from Evolutionary Leaders HERE.
A rare event took place in the UN General Assembly on February 7, 2012: religious and secular leaders from around the world gathered to affirm “Common Ground for the Common Good” to mark the close of the second annual World Interfaith Harmony Week, February 1-7. Three members of the Evolutionary Leaders circle – Rev. Deborah Moldow, Ms. Yuka Saionji, and Rev. Michael Bernard Beckwith - helped this ground-breaking program to shift the energy in the United Nations.
The program, hosted by the President of the General Assembly, H.E. Mr. Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser, featured Deputy Secretary-General Asha-Rose Migiro and diverse voices, religious and secular, from all over the world. Religious leaders included H.E. Archbishop F.A. Chullikatt of the Mission of the Holy See to the UN and Rabbi David Rosen, who spoke movingly of the need to engage religious groups in making peace in the Holy Land.
The crowd was particularly stirred by Rev. Michael Bernard Beckwith, as he called on all present to allow the transcendent awareness from which we can move into a collective action with the will and the willingness to make a difference on this planet...for the emergence of good.
Four “pillars” of the President of the General Assembly were also addressed: Conflict Mediation; Disaster Prevention and Response; Revitalization of the UN; and Sustainable Development. A star speaker was young Yuka Saionji of Byakko Shinko Kai and the Goi Peace Foundation in Japan.
Yuka has been working among the Japanese youth who lost so much during the 2011 earthquake and tsunami and needed to find the confidence to rebuild. She brought tears to everyone’s eyes as she spoke movingly of how much the prayers and support from around the world brought comfort to the Japanese people – and she received a standing ovation.
The spiritual highlight of the program was a tree ceremony, designed and led by Deborah Moldow with Tajeldin Hamad. Representatives of eleven religions were invited to come forward to give water to a common tree, symbolic of nurturing our “Common Ground for the Common Good.” The beautiful music of Paul Winter was a magnificent complement to the ceremony.
The President of the General Assembly stated that, “the fruits of religious dialogue and understanding offer the hope of a new era of peace for all humanity.”
In the great hall of the nations of the world, 1200 people – along with those watching the webcast – each held a shared vision of a culture of peace throughout the program, as a Peace Pole next to the stage silently anchored a new spirit of harmony and peace.
View entire UN archived webcast HERE.
* * *
The following week, Evolutionary Leader Nipun Mehta was the keynote speaker at a program for students marking the Gandhi-King-Chavez “Season for Nonviolence,” a project of the Association for Global New Thought.
Every being, every thing on Earth has a deep purpose and a guiding force for its existence.
An acorn's guiding force, its destiny, is to become an oak tree. A cloud passes over a mountain range with the destiny of becoming a thunderstorm further down the valley.
You, too, have a deep purpose and a guiding force for becoming all you are capable of being. You may sense this as that inner strength that directs your actions. Or that inner voice, the intuitive voice, that calls to you when you're at a crossroads in your life.
"This is the path you should take," it tells you. Often, however, it tells you with emotions and feelings, and the words come later.
Some call this guiding force the Higher Self. It is the deepest, holiest, most whole part of you.
What if you were able to access this Higher Self at any time? What if you could actually stand face-to-face with that most soulful, wise force behind all the good in your life?
In this e-mail, I'm going to give you a meditation you can try at home that will enable you to get in touch with your Higher Self, your guiding force, your voice of destiny. It's simple and yet so powerful.
If you've heard me speak in the past about the 3 Keys to Discovering and Living Your True Purpose, you know that the Activation Key #2 to discovering your true purpose is opening to your larger role in the world by shifting from your "small" self to your Higher Self.
What is a small self? The small self is the self whose emotions and moods fluctuate every day based on external circumstances: whether or not you got praise at work, whether your partner said, "I love you," whether you ran into traffic on the way to run errands, or sometimes because the weather is too hot or too cold. It is the self that is mainly concerned with the "I" of the ego, the concerns of status and comfort.
The Higher Self is the self beyond what's happening in the present moment, the self that is in alignment with All That Is, with the divine, with the cosmos. It is timeless, formless and limitless. The Higher Self is the universe inside of you.
By shifting from your small self to your Higher self, you can access the truth of who you are and begin to experience your unique purpose. You can see beyond the everyday concerns of ego to a higher calling, to seeing the world's pain and need, and seeing what your role is in relationship to healing that pain.
When you live from the place of the Higher Self, you live a life in which abundance is scooped from abundance and still more abundance remains.
How can you experience the Higher Self consciously, at will, at more than just those fleeting moments when you sense the greater intelligence working through you? You can do it through this meditation, which I'm about to share with you.
This meditation will require a completely quiet and undistracted space. Maybe you can do this now, or maybe you'll have to set aside some time later in the day or first thing in the morning.
A 5-Minute Audio Practice to Access Your Higher Self
During my upcoming 7-week online course, Awakening to Your Life's Purpose, I'll be leading you through many similar exercises and meditations.
Moreover, I'll be showing you how to evoke your Higher Self in any situation with grace, love and wisdom. You'll learn how to decode the emerging patterns in your life and the world, so you can sense what is trying to become and aid in its becoming.
You'll be able to have an unfolding awareness of the greater design for your life, and you'll have the tools and creativity to act on that design, regardless of where you are now and how stuck you feel.
If you feel called to lead a truly remarkable life, know that it's never too late! Great shifts to a life of purpose can happen at almost any time during a person's life, and usually the most challenging and difficult times in your life are the moments ripe for the most profound transformation.
That's why it's never been a better time to collectively gather to make the evolutionary shift and activate our full capacities as human beings.
Yours in purpose,
Let Joan Borysenko free you from burnout
What happened to the spark you had as a child that powered curiosity, engagement with life, and creativity? Has it burned out? Are you feeling emotionally and physically exhausted and cynical, wondering if you’ve got what it takes to make it in this rapidly changing world?
Burnout looks a lot like depression, but it’s not a biological bogeyman that medication or simple stress management can cure. It’s a disorder of hope and will that sucks the life out of competent, idealistic, hardworking people like you; and it will be an ongoing challenge for you to take your power back!
By Lynne McTaggart
This is probably the most exciting time to be alive that I can ever think of, and I’m thrilled to have this front row seat to witness the overhaul of virtually every system we have created in our modern industrial world – a system that gave us riches beyond measure but at the expense of community, family life, free time and our environment.
However, as this historic and expectation-laden new year dawns, what is now required is that each of us move from our ringside seats, as passive observers, and throw our hats – and ourselves – into the ring.
Look upon this tough time as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reinvent yourself. I guarantee that you will look upon this period of your life as one of the best times of your life, a pivotal moment that forever changed you for the better.
Here are my own 10 suggestions for 10 Ways to Reinvent Yourself and Your World. Transforming our world starts with transforming yourself and your communities. I look forward to hearing more ideas from you.
- Find new sources of news. The mainstream press is, in the main, owned by the corporate world and used as a vehicle to promote corporate interests. Note the fact that Rupert Murdoch paid Sarah Palin £7 million a year to front an anodyne TV show – a fact that remains unremarked upon by the press. Many ‘health’ columnists are in some way beholden to the pharmaceutical industry – one reason why there is virtually no coverage of anything but fluffy-bunny alternative medicine anymore. Journalists of the mainstream have very little latitude to keep a Fourth-Estate watch on the corporate or political world – or no longer know to. Stop reading the daily mainstream press. It can no longer be relied upon to tell you anything useful and will make it appear that life is more hopeless than it really is. Instead read The Huffington Post, even Yes! Magazine, and watch Positive TV and Aljazeera and other of the more independent outlets on the web. And don’t, for God’s sake, continue to read about celebrities.
- Radically redesign your finances. Remove your money from the multi-national banks and find a local bank or community savings-and-loan or building society. Look for an organization that is a cooperative (owned by its customers).That way, you will be supporting your local community, and a local bank will be able to support local jobs and local enterprise. Learn to get by on very little on credit. Chop up your credit cards or save them for emergencies. Change your priorities. The only thing you really need is food, shelter, love, meaningful work and free time. Be creative in learning how to live well for less.
- Get out of your car. Walk, cycle or use public transport whenever possible. My husband Bryan stopped driving to work and instead walked to work so he could give our dog Ollie a twice-day walk. Although Ollie has passed on, he gave Bryan the gift of the joys of walking. He hardly ever drives unless it is out of town and is more fit than he has ever been.
- Try to operate without money whenever possible. Learn to barter and use your incredible expertise or assets as currency. All of us have extraordinary resources and skill sets that we can ‘trade’ in order to pay for what we need without money. Post a notice board up at a local Whole Foods, Unity Church or public place, offering your skills (tutoring, painting, gardening, accounting, etc) in exchange for whatever it is that you’d like (a holiday away, food, gardening, etc).
- Help to build a bipartisan social movement. In order to change the way the political and social and economic system works, we have to join hands. This requires a critical mass of people working together. These usually start locally with people in local communities, who eventually connect with others. Check out the Center for Community Change and Change Nation. They have targeted five groups – the long-term unemployed, returning vets, victims of foreclosures, new graduates and public employees – as ripe for a connected social movement. These total 30 million people about 1 in 7 Americans.
- If you are out of work, look to create new business models locally: cooperatives, local currencies, community markets. Set your sites locally. What needs doing? What resources are lying fallow? Are there disused buildings that you can use for new business? What can you do that doesn’t require big start-up money? What is your skill set? Or the kind of work that makes your heart sing?
- Move beyond your virtual world. Take the time to get out from under your TV and computer and meet your community. Start by holding a small meeting in your living room. Meet with your neighborhood and community people and decide what needs doing. Just do it.
- Uncover the hidden connections between you and other people – whether in your faith, your locality, your citizenship, your sex, your local or national interests. Both Republicans and Democrats have many identical interests – a love of family, God, children, home, and country. All of us want to “fix” the economy, the roads, the government, the high price of gasoline, our educational system. Keep alert for ‘us and them’ thinking, language and actions. As soon as you start generalizing about one race or ethnic group of people – whether Republicans, Muslims, or even bankers – you have defined a group as ‘them.’ Expunge this kind of language from your vocabulary
- Use the power of local government. In America many local communities are ignoring Washington and setting down their own laws against corporate interference. Lately, they are even ignoring laws passed by the Supreme Court allowing corporations to pay unlimited sums to political candidates. Get involved on a local level.
- Trust in the power of the fair and the good. I was inspired the other idea when I was on the phone with a guy who runs a corporate development program at very tight margins, making at best a few hundred per member. The entire idea of the project is a new form of cooperative capitalism that does not run on the ‘I Win-You Lose’ model of the West. People are encouraged to help others in the organization, based on a model of cooperation, integrity and service. Although the organization barely makes money on it, thousands of entrepreneurs rush to join and agree to give of their time as faculty for free without the ‘payback’ of selling their projects or skills. Nevertheless, among all the big guns in this corporate development arena, this company is one of the few in the black during these tough times.
Now what do you suggest to help reinvent each of us and our world?
Reprinted from Lynne McTaggart's weekly e-news: www.lynnemctaggart.com
Evolutionary Leaders in Rome and Florence This Summer at "Awakened World 2012: Engaged Spirituality for the 21st Century"
By Barbara Fields
Many Evolutionary Leaders will join The Association for Global New Thought (AGNT) and The International Committee for the Peace Council (IIPC) in Rome and Florence in October for "Awakened World 2012: Engaged Spirituality for the 21st Century." The purpose of the gathering will be to explore the evolution of spirituality and “meta-civics” in the 21st century, as a significant challenge and opportunity for the world. The event will, we intend, set the stage for the next decades of evolutionary activism, and for a "Second Axial Age" in religion and spirituality. Press conferences with international media will be held in both Rome and Florence.
The great theologian Ewert Cousins (1927-2009) believed that the 21st century marked a new evolutionary turning that will reshape religion and spirituality in extraordinary ways.
"If we shift our gaze from the first millennium BCE to the eve of the twenty-first century, we can discern another transformation of consciousness. It is so profound and far-reaching that I call it the Second Axial Period. Like the first it is happening simultaneously around the earth, and like the first it will shape the horizon of consciousness for future centuries. Not surprisingly, too, it will have great significance for world religions, which were constituted in the First Axial Period. However, the new form of consciousness is different from that of the First Axial Period. Then it was individual consciousness, now it is global consciousness."
(Ewert Cousins, Christ of the 21st Century, pp. 7-8.)
The Awakened World dialogues will revolve around a Core Group, featuring key members of the International Interreligious Peace Council and their peers from the world’s religious and spiritual communities. Joining them will be respected wisdom leaders drawn from the world’s "guiding institutions," including in addition to religion: government, commerce, education, the arts, science, intergovernmental institutions, and civil society. In addition to the Core Group, the conference is open to a broadly inclusive Action Group of people engaged in the heroic effort to build a better world. These individuals will participate fully in working groups with global leaders from various disciplines, faiths and cultures.
For more about the conference and the ELs attending with global thought leaders, as well as how to attend, visit: http://www.agnt.org/awakened2012.html
Spiritual and religious belief systems shape worldviews that, in turn, determine cultural norms. Do cultures evolve or do they merely change? These dialogues will explore a powerful argument for genuine cultural evolution – namely, that prevailing human values, assumptions, and behaviors move steadily toward an implicate order and closer fit with our authentic nature. Today, we’re right in the middle of such a planet-very heart lie new understandings of peace and nonviolence, social / economic justice and human rights, ecological sustainability, and personal transformation. We are in a very rare segment of history through which humanity enters a period of dramatically accelerated cultural evolution – a “sea change.”
This gathering will be unique:
Instead of looking again at "social symptoms," we’re interested in uncovering endemic, systemic root causes. Spiritual and religious belief systems shape fundamental world-views that, in turn, determine cultural norms. Cultural norms steer mass thought and behavior patterns which direct choice and sustain policy in social institutions. Once entrenched, these policies may often exploit belief systems for their ability to impact a political agenda. (Where have we heard this before?) Cutting to the chase... Although a perfect oxymoron in all faith traditions, “religious war” = political currency.
Religious and spiritual leaders have the responsibility and moral authority to refuse governments the power to perpetuate violence, hatred, greed, and oppression in their name. They need our solidarity, and to stand in solidarity with one another.
What is GLOBAL? It requires representing cultural, national, spiritual, gender, ideological, professional, and psychological diversity—not just geographical “others” who share our western worldview, speak our language, and enjoy a similar economic demographic profile.
Many attending are religious and spiritual leaders who, indeed, represent huge populations of the faithful, but who also happen to be progressive experts in others areas such as human rights, the environment, governance, finance and economics, indigenous people, humanitarian concerns, health and wellness, law, education, etc.
Instead of lectures from the podium, we opt for collaborative pods and panels that can synergize common areas of expertise reflecting global diversity. Core Group (VIPs) will also sit as mentors and attentive listeners to citizen activists who are working one-on-one, and “in the trenches.”
Instead of passive audience of registrants, we invite highly participatory spiritually-motivated activists who have been trained in evolutionary practices and have a stake in uplifting the conscious norms of their communities. A more sustained and sophisticated understanding of the fractal relationship between Global and local, as well as an ongoing support system, will facilitate their ability to be effective citizen leaders.
In an age of accelerating cultural evolution and a profound turning of the great axis of human spirituality, religion, and culture, we will gather in Rome and Florence as thought leaders, experts, and visionaries to explore a possible future of spiritual citizenship and evolutionary activism in four critical domains of human possibility...
Reconciling with the Other
Embracing the Earth Family
Rediscovering the Sacred
Please join us, if you feel called. http://www.agnt.org/awakened2012.html
Evolutionary Leaders attending (not fully confirmed)
Rev. Michael Dowd
Barbara Fields (Conference Director)
Rev. Charles Gibbs
Barbara Marx Hubbard
Join the Evolution!
Evolutionary Leaders: In Service to Conscious Evolution
Don Beck, Michael Bernard Beckwith, Joan Borysenko, Gregg Braden, Patrick Brauckmann, Rinaldo Brutoco, Jack Canfield, Scott Carlin, Deepak Chopra, Andrew Cohen, Oran Cohen, Dale Colton, Wendy Craig-Purcell, Stephen Dinan, Michael Dowd, Gordon Dveirin, Duane Elgin, Barbara Fields, Ashok Gangadean, Kathleen Gardarian, Tom Gegax, David Gershon, Mark Gerzon, Charles Gibbs, Joshua Gorman, Craig Hamilton, Kathy Hearn, Jean Houston, Barbara Marx Hubbard, Ervin Laszlo, Bruce Lipton, Lynnaea Lumbard, Elza Maalouf, Howard Martin, Fred Matser, Rod McGrew, Steve McIntosh, Lynne McTaggart, Nipun Mehta, Nina Meyerhof, Deborah Moldow, James O'Dea, Terry Patten, Carter Phipps, Carolyn Rangel, Ocean Robbins, Peter Russell, Elisabet Sahtouris, Yuka Saionji, Gerard Senehi, Christian Sorensen, Emily Squires, Daniel Stone, Lynne Twist, Diane Williams, Katherine Woodward Thomas, Claire Zammit, Tom Zender
Join the Community